Friday, January 28, 2011

chomsky and performance art

Artist Annie Dorsen has created a chatbot performance piece around the debate between Noam Chomsky and Michele Foucault on Dutch TV in 1971 (videos here).

This snippet is mildly interesting, but I couldn't help wondering what technology was used, especially the speech synthesis, because, frankly, it's a bit clunky and old-fashioned. Perhaps that's part of the point. The computer screens appear to be running DOS shells too. Nothing wrong with that, purists will likely prefer it even, but combined with the clunky speech, the performance appears to be trading on a very outdated computational linguistic aesthetic. Truly the desert of the real? (okay, I had to through in some Baudrillard)

2 comments:

richardelguru said...

"through in"??

richardelguru said...

Chris,
sorry I was not being clear, I should have asked if 'through in' should have been 'throw in'?
Unless, of course, I'm missing something.

TV Linguistics - Pronouncify.com and the fictional Princeton Linguistics department

 [reposted from 11/20/10] I spent Thursday night on a plane so I missed 30 Rock and the most linguistics oriented sit-com episode since ...