Thursday, December 24, 2009

Eskimo Gibberish?


(image from vintage_ads)

Recently, kottke posted this vintage ad featuring two "Eskimos" with one saying , and I quote, "Kripik igloo sop frofu torky."  Commenter bluebear2 at vintage_ads notes that none of those words appear in the online Inuktitut Dictionary. I would be surprised and impressed if this was anything but gibberish, but I know next to nothing about the Eskimo-Aleut family of languages. I Googled the sentence (to use that word lightly) and found nothing, of course. Just thought I'd throw it out there. Any experts out there care to confirm the obvious?

No comments:

TV Linguistics - Pronouncify.com and the fictional Princeton Linguistics department

 [reposted from 11/20/10] I spent Thursday night on a plane so I missed 30 Rock and the most linguistics oriented sit-com episode since ...